Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fall Still Life

Still life poorly organized composition
 The Winter time is upon us and for most of us plein air artist's it's time to go to our studios.
Over the years I have had different studio's depending on my situation.
My studio is an  interesting destination. I can study and experiment away from the curious bystander that I meet in plein air painting.
I find doing still life in my studio the best way to learn color composition and form.


I first started painting my still life with a knife. Something was bothering me about it. The color was okay but the composition was alarming and uninteresting.
 After two days of working on the still I was thinking of abandoning my painting out of frustration."what was it, my set up? the content?" . By stepping back  from the set up I could see everything was veering to the left leaving empty space.
I made a small sketch and then started a new painting of the same set up. This time I used the brush to block in. Although the still life isn't finished it has a better arraignment and therefore more interesting  to paint.
Still life Better placement

No comments:

Post a Comment