Monday, March 25, 2013

The Reluctant Model



Anyone who knows me knows I'm crazy about my little pooch Sophie. Today is Sophie's 10th Birthday so I decided to make everyone crazy and blog about the small sketch I painted  a couple years ago when I was in Palm Springs.

I don't plan on making a career in "dog portraits". but what's the point of learning how to paint if you aren't having a blast painting the things you enjoy?
Like all animal's dogs don't pose all that well, but she held still long enough to get the gist.
I
I have read a couple animal anatomy books they help construct the basic form, so you can feel your way arournd.
They dog or cat is going to spilt after a couple strokes anyway so I just put down the
basic pose and then construct a little.
This type of painting is not a photo, and shouldn't look like one either.


3 comments:

  1. Wow - now she's 70. Are you going to do a second portrait in Angel Foods, showing her chowing down on an $8 snack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    Thanks for the jolt of levity this afternoon. You caught me off guard with your post's title and then, seeing your painting of Sophie, I can just picture your trying to 'capture her pose'! I am still laughing. My son just got a Boston Bulldog from the Animal Rescue League. Her name is Clementine. She is just a pup and so full of energy--I couldn't imagine trying to sketch her let alone paint her. Although, it probably would be fun.

    Thanks again for the chuckle and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOPHIE!

    ReplyDelete