Monday, June 3, 2013

Falmouth Artist's Guild

Painting at Quissett harbor

Quissett Harbor brush demo by John Clayton

My workshop at the Falmouth Artist's Guild this weekend, brought me to exciting new painting places that I never would have explored.
The Falmouth students were for the most part accomplished artist's and very much open to painting with color.
I enjoyed sharing some of the principles of cape school painting, along with passing on some history.
We started with simple block studies and then moved on to some elements of landscape painting; using the pallet knife to keep things simple.
Some of the students felt the knife created much needed challenges that will help their painting stay loose and fresh. Others found the knife difficult to handle.
The weather was perfectly sunny. I was becoming concerned that I wasn't going to demonstrate the cloudy day; crucial to understanding the light key.
Sunday  we had an overcast morning and I did a quick demo before the sun came out.
The last part of workshop we used brushes.
It was great to see the growth during a few days of painting; teacher included.



No comments:

Post a Comment