Saturday, February 18, 2012

Key West paintings Done with a painting knife


I did these paintings this morning. The paintings are done with a painting knife. People often ask me why are all the Cape School paintings done with a knife.
The Cape Cod School of Art was founded by Charles Hawthorne. He had his students study color and made them paint with putty knives. His reason was two fold. The first reason was, the knife puts the color down in it purest form. The second reason is Hawthorne didn't want his students to get caught up in needless details. This is very much the reason I paint with a pallet knife I want my paintings to express the joy of sunlight not how great a draftsman I am. After all only the owner of house you are painting counts the windows. All my paintings are really only studies of the color and light. Some are more studied and some are less, studied.
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment