Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two different painting approaches


Here are two examples of different painting approaches. The first of the Stock Island at Hogfish, is an example of "notan" (laying in the dark passages first, Then painting the middle tone, and then last is the shock of light.
The second is a typical "Cape School" approach. This approach is massing in one color next to the other color and developing the painting by color notes and their variations.
The first one of the boats is also done with brushes. The painting of the conch house is done strictly with a painting knife.
I find it helpful to try painting with different approaches as an exercise and hopefully growing in my ability to paint.
There I am in the top right with my vicious guard dog Sophie. She make friends with everyone, even if they don't like my painting we are still friends because she wins the day by rolling on her back and showing us her belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment