Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Study in Sunlight

i am discovering that simple head studies in outdoor light is as effective as the block studies that have been painted.
The Cape School has a long tradition of studying colored blocks in natural light. This is a long traditional practice for seeing light, shade and reflections.
Hawthorne had his Cape Cod School of Art students paint simple portraits of children on the beach known as "mud heads".
Using myself as a model I quickly block in the form, with patterns of light and shade. Without destroying  the patterns I begin to get more specific with the color I'm seeing within the form.
It's not so important to make your studies a true likeness. I found that perhaps a little attention to drawing is required in contrast with the colored blocks.
I will be teaching a Mud Head Class in Falmouth this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment