Wednesday, April 19, 2017

A Personal View of Watercolor

Last summer I started to use watercolor again. It is a medium that I never really considered until a couple years ago.
 The watercolor must be planned, unlike oils there isn't  a lot of forgiveness. One splash too many and the game is over.
Personally I love the fresh splashy look of watercolor. I find it a constant challenge. The handling of water consistency and the transparency of the medium is what draws me to watercolor.
The Moors watercolor 10x11
The paper has a lot to do with the feeling of the painting. Some watercolor papers are rough and some are smooth. I have explored many different types and like them all.
Watercolor has many techniques involved. Water washes create transparent light washes. If you want more saturated or darker washes you need to have plenty of pigment in your brew!
The End of Winter onCommercial street.
Organizing your big lights and darks is a must along withs handling of the middle notes .
There is a spontaneity and freshness that watercolor gives. However understanding the essentials of watercolor techniques is key.

Chicky Lou
Personally I enjoy renewing my journey with this medium it helps me think about painting in a new way.
Easter Sunday 

copy of farmer

No comments:

Post a Comment