Friday, May 11, 2012

North Light Still Life

I took advantage of the rain for three days this past week by painting a more studied still life.
After teaching last week it made me understand the importance of developing your eye for color, by studying still life.
I reread the Henry Hensche book "the Art of Seeing and Painting". In the book henry talks about stating the masses clearly and uniquely in relationship to one another.

One of the challenges I find is  studying the edges. They must be studied as well. I have for years thought just pushing the color together was the right way to handle edges. It's amazing how many bad habits I have taken on over the years. Taking the time to really slow down and study still life in a controlled environment like the studio is a tremendous opportunity for self development.

One the student's in last weeks workshop Dave, brought in a copy of Henry Hensche Color study.   .pdf.http://blueridgeartist.com/media/pdfs/Henry_Hensche_Colour_Study.pdf
If you are interested in reading more about this way of study,  I think this Pdf written by George T.Thermond is one of the best understandings of Hensche's teachings. The book is clearly not a formulaic book made for profit, therefore  it's definitely not for the faint of heart, "reader beware".

Barbara  Torrey
I added this example of one of the student's taking the class last week. I think this is a  good example of a beginning student's raw yet colorful approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment