Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Light Key of Nature

Captain Jack's Wharf is another one of those iconic ptown spots to paint. This painting was done in my class yesterday to demonstrate the cloudy bright light key. I start by painting a few simple color spots then I relate everything to those few basic color notes and then the fun begins.

By keeping things related to the light key produces the color harmony.

The sun came out so I painted another small demo for the class of Cottage street. Here you can see clearly that the light key is different in that it reads as sunlight. This painting goes a step further than just light and shade, because we are dealing with atmospheric changes, and not just strong sunlight. It's a challenge to see and try and paint the different light keys. It's not impossible that's what I tell myself! It's great fun taking the color journey.

1 comment:

  1. Takes me back to a month ago -- what a great workshop *that* was, and it looks as though another one is well on its way.

    Nice -- and educating -- pairing of light and scenes.

    ReplyDelete