Saturday, June 2, 2012

Donna Summer Morning

I wasn't listening to Donna Summer when I painted this, however lines in Mac Arthur Park are perfect for todays post. "Someone left the cake out in the rain, and I don't think I can take it cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again".
"Formulas"
 Today's rant is all about recipes. What everyone wants is a successful recipe to make their painting better.  There is none!

There are many "how to books".
especially for painting with color. The big secret is really getting the masses to stay related to the light key.
When you are able to see the color you can mix the color. When you get the color right the value will be right.
When I'm out painting I'm not trying to make a picture, I am studying the light. This is what as known as the "Art of Seeing".  Of course a little knowledge of picture making (perspective, composition, design), are essential.
By learning to explore the long term procedure of studying color you  automatically avoid using recipes for painting. It's challenging, but what the heck, it makes painting fun and you open yourself up to see the world  interestingly  and beautiful.

1 comment: