Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Auster Workshop Part Two

All in All I would have to say it was a positive experience taking a workshop with someone who is from a different school of painting than myself.
Ken is not particular in keeping his brushes totally clean, because he is not concerned with making mud. Auster teaches, mud is created when shapes and parts of the painting do not relate, not because you used a dirty brush.
Auster kept instilling his concept of "Paint one animal at a time".
The great thing about taking a workshop is that you taking a workshop to prove how good you are but want to learn something new and utilize it to make your own art better.
We worked from photos. Honestly I have very little experience with this type of painting. Ken had an amazing way to transfer  the painting using a "dot" method.
Above is my painting from the workshop. We used one yellow a warm and cool red, one blue, white and black. The limited palette is useful in creating color harmony.
It still looks like my painting, for better or worse it's just that the palette is different.
street scene of San Francisco after Auster by John Clayton
I enjoyed painting the street scene the best. The street scene is one of my favorite subjects, in Provincetown and Key West to paint. I found Auster's demo and then painting the same scene very helpful.
I plan on using his palette for a week to learn and then bringing back my color and see how I like it. If I don't think a color gives me the result I want, it's  good bye!
Here are some of this week paintings using the Auster palette.
A 6x8 sketch done from like of a simple house.
A street scene of downtown Ft Myers
Another Street Scene of Downtown Ft Myers





No comments:

Post a Comment