Saturday, August 18, 2012

Margaret McWethy Workshop

Margaret McWethy's Sill
John Clayton's Still life
Last week I was able to attend Margaret McWethy's still life class at the Cape School in Provincetown. Margaret is a terrific still life painter and she also shows at the Egeli gallery with me.

Margaret started her painting off by painting a warm underpainting, establishing the big darks and then rubbing out the lights with terp. After a short demonstration of painting grapes and a bottle we began painting in a similar way. We painted in the big shapes with a warm underpainting and  then she had us  paint the color within the masses. It was wonderful to work with Margret again.

We painted still life or fruit  objects that we had difficulty painting. For me I wanted to learn to paint grapes. Part of the process of setting up the still life was addressed. It always amazes me how  McWethy is able to get a great composition and arrangement of the still life. She sets up such great color harmonies.

My little yorkie  Sophie also came to class and took a nap while we painted. Sophie loves Margaret and sat in her lap while Margaret gave a little critique.

Sophie waits for the class to be over

my messy pallet 

Margaret works with a student

No comments:

Post a Comment