Monday, September 17, 2012

Reflection of the Dory

Dory Reflection
Reflections are some of the most interesting subjects in landscapes.
I couldn't resist painting this dory and it made the perfect subject for a small painting.
Most of the instruction on reflection is basic. The shadow side of the boat reflection is going to be a little lighter in the shadow then it's shade. The lighter side reflection is going to be a little deeper in value than it is in the light. These are generalizations that do not always apply, however they help the artist is what to look for when painting reflections.

I find when the water is calm this is generally true, when there are ripples something different might be happening. Anyway if your going to paint the coast your going to have to read up on some of these ideas. I read most of the Gruppe books I find he was a master at painting water.
Gruppe on Color and his other books are out of print. Most library's have a system where they exchange lending through the system.  I have read most of my art books this way.

I sold this to a woman that is a native to Provincetown. Jill has been after me for years to sell her a small  
painting when she saw this she stop and said "that's the one"!

No comments:

Post a Comment