Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Spring Views

I am starting a seres of spring paintings this week. I will need to go back to location at least once to finish these two paintings. The rooftops is a favorite view of mine. The trouble with painting on the spot is  that spring is a  fairly short time around here. If rain comes for a week my chance to finish will be next year.
My paintings require a little study to them. I don't like to paint plein air paintings in the studio because they loose the freshness and you could easily alter the light key, or cancel out the sense of logic a painting should have.

The above scene is done in the morning. I'm focused on the tree in the far right. All the buildings are in shadow except for the roofs.

The same scene in the second painting, only this time it's in the afternoon. All the building are in the light and the tree is in shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment